We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2016, taking place 19th – 25th September.
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
If you’re a Gas Safe registered engineer, help remind customers they should:
• Check their gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure the landlord arranges this. Encourage your customers to set a reminder so they don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
• Check their engineer is Gas Safe registered. They can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
• Check their engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work they need doing. They can find this information on the back of the card.
• Check for warning signs their appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
• Check they know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
• Check they have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert them if there is carbon monoxide in their home.
Does ‘Smart Controls’ Only Mean Convenient?
Is it time to reassess what we mean by ‘smart controls’? During recent months gas engineers, homeowners and government officials are considering taking a more realistic view of these heating controls; but why? Our blog is here to explain all and give our opinion. Smart heating has engaged people in their heating and boiler usage […]READ MORE
Preparing Your Boiler For Winter
Winter is when you need your heating most so conducting checks in autumn can seriously reduce the chances of a breakdown as all repairs can be completed before winter. The chances of your boiler malfunctioning and breaking down are increased during the colder months as your heating system has hardly been used throughout the summer. […]READ MORE
Why Is An Annual Boiler Service Essential?
Your boiler is guaranteed to be exposed to wear and tear during its life; therefore, an annual service should be considered a necessity. The act of a boiler service involves a thorough inspection of the inside of the boiler, removing the casing, cleaning all parts as required and ensuring it’s properly sealed. Your registered Gas […]READ MORE
6 Top Tips For Prolonging The Life Of Your Boiler
Depending on your boiler, the general life expectancy is around 15 years. However, boilers are often neglected and without the proper care there is a higher chance of it malfunctioning. Here’s some tips to help maintain your boiler at its maximum competence, saving you money in the long term. Annual Boiler Servicing An annual boiler […]READ MORE
Gas Safety Week: Fighting for a Gas Safe nation
We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2017, taking place 18th – 24th September. Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who […]READ MORE